School lunches can often be a struggle – between finding the time to make the food, and ensuring something healthy.
Here is a great recipe for a healthy lunchtime Mexican fiesta, courtesy of kaboose.com!
Lunch Box Taco Salad by Stella Zedman
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) canned kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sour cream (regular or low fat)
- 1 cup (250 mL) tortilla chips (regular or baked)
- In a plastic container big enough to use as a bowl for the finished salad, toss together lettuce and tomato. In a small plastic container with a tight-fitting lid, stir together beans and salsa. Pack shredded cheese and sour cream in separate plastic containers. Finally, pack tortilla chips in a zip-top plastic bag.
- OK, you’ve got all the components. Now what? At lunchtime, open the container of lettuce. Dump bean mixture on top, add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Finally, crumble tortilla chips on top and lunch is served!